Travel safety is always important. This is certainly true when it comes to the possibility of running into a pick pocket.
No matter where you are, it's always a good idea to remember a few things that will make it possible to protect your wallet. This is particularly true if you happen to find yourself on vacation or away from home for any substantial length of time.
Some of the statistics on pick pocketing may surprise you. They will certainly compel you to want to do everything possible to make sure your wallet or passport is protected at all times.
Pick Pocketing Information
Before we get into a few tips that will ensure your wallet or possessions kept in your pockets are safe, here are some facts and figures on pick pocketing that can definitely give you pause:
- There were over 1700 reported incidents of pick pocketing during the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
- An estimated 600,000 pick pocketing incidents occur in the United Kingdom every year.
- In 2009, Barcelona reported over six thousand pick pocketing incidents.
- Thirty-three percent of all claims in regards to travel insurance are for items that have been lost or stolen.
Over 400,000 pick pocketing incidents occur in the world each and every single day.
The top five cities for pick pocketing occurrences are as follows: Barcelona, Rome, Prague, Madrid, and Paris.
If you are planning to travel in the near future, here are some basic travel safety tips you can keep in mind which will ensure your valuables are protected:
- Avoid keeping your wallet in either of your rear pockets. As you may or may not know, your rear pockets are an easy target for even a novice pick pocket.
- When you find yourself in a large crowd, try to maintain at least some awareness of your personal belongings. Don't let yourself get too distracted.
- Children and senior citizens should not be automatically disqualified on the basis of their age or appearance.
- Keep in mind that a pick pocket rarely operates alone. They are generally going to be working in groups.
- If you're in a confined space or a passageway of some kind, try to remain vigilant.
Try to keep the contents of your purse or wallet down to the absolute essentials. This is something that can not only make it easier to find what you need, but it can also protect you from becoming a victim of pick pocketing.
When you're out and about in the world, stay safe.